Check your horses cast at least twice daily.
A horse with a cast should be checked frequently. We check them frequently to make sure no cast sores; cast sores can become very problematic in your horses recovery. Checking your horses cast involves:
- checking for heat or discharge
- checking for an increase in lameness
- checking the bottom of the cast for ware marks or splitting
- checking/replacing bandage around top/bottom of cast to prevent dirt and debris from entering
- checking for pain or swelling above/below cast