Create a parasite control plan to help your horse stay parasite free and healthy.
A routine parasite control plan should be in place to help you horse to stay parasite free and healthy. Parasites can be prevented and controlled in various ways. Some keys to preventing parasites and treating them:
- clean paddocks (no build up of manure, stagnant water, moldy/old hay)
- clean sheds (clean fresh sheds will help diminish insects as well as better air quality for your horses)
- clean fresh water (tank should be algae free, fresh cold water in summer months)
- Fecal Egg Count Reduction Test
- treating only for which parasites your horse has and rotating products to diminish parasite resiliency
- knowing more prominent parasites in your area/environment