Colic: Signs and Symptoms
Pawing at the ground with forelimb
Reaching around with the head to the flank;
Increased amount of time lying down;
Playing in the water bucket;
Continual shifting of weight on the hind limbs; and
Standing against a wall and moving infrequently.
Treatment: Calling Vet sooner than later is always advisable as colic can become worse quickly.
- Check Vital Signs, Heart rate and rectal temp
- Check stall for manure
- CALL VET
- Closely monitor your horse
- Walk your horse around
- Do not exhaust the horse
- Remove Food
- Provide plenty of water
- Medication on advice of Vet Only
- Keep Horse contained in safe area
- Consider Trailering horse to hospital
3,041 thoughts on “S.O.P 1.1.1: Colic symptoms, recognition and treatment”
Very nice and very helpful Website door that you have posted. I like it very much please keep doing this amazing work. Have a very nice day sir.