Action Point: Establish vaccination protocols
Rationale: Purpose and intent of this SOP is to provide direction on the vaccination of horses within the herd, to increase resistance to disease
- In consultation with the vet, a vaccination schedule for each horse shall be outlined and recorded in the horses’ health record. (1)
- Broodmares are to receive appropriate vaccines for this area.
- Foals will also receive proper vaccinations with primary and booster vaccines
- any adverse effects to the vaccine shall also be recorded as well as the vaccines serial , lot number and expiry dates. (2) Rationale: Recording this information will be useful in the event of a reaction and if the vaccine itself is recalled.
1.National Farm And Facility Level Biosecurity Standard for the Equine Sector, Section 4 Principles of Infection Prevention and Control Programs, Methods of Pathogen Transmission,
2. Code of Practice for the care and handling of Equines, Section 4.1.2 Vaccines